music: baby teeth thieves
Today I was waking up...slowly...trying to guzzle down some coffee, getting my thoughts together- for some reason my brain went to an old dusty space...where I sat at my computer as a teenager, socially alienated, looking for connection elsewhere besides school or church where I did not feel like I fit in one bit...mid 2000's, maybe 2007 or 2008.
My first job was at a Kroger, bagging groceries for the neighborhood folks. There was a guy that worked on one of the registers there that had a band that played alt-country (think Uncle Tupelo, etc). I started going to these shows in this house kind of across town and then from there found out about other houses and bands. One time I was at one of these shows and saw a sticker or something that said "lation.org".
When I got back home to my computer and myspace account, I started searching around and found the myspace and actual website, and after a while I discovered that "lation" was some sort of mindset or collective or maybe both. There was music and art on there that was being made around me and I had no physical connection to it but I did like the music, so I searched the bands out.
One of the bands that I eventually was able to see more than a few times was Baby Teeth Thieves. They were such a joy to see perform. It was mostly acoustic and spacey and sort of sad...and there was a celloist. I have always loved the way a cello sounded for some reason. Here is one of their records:
we'll replace the factories with the factories that grows trees that trees grow in front of...
Here's a Murfreesboro Pulse article that I found about the band and this record that they released:
ReplyDeletehttps://boropulse.com/2009/04/baby-teeth-thieves-to-a-green-thought-in-a-green-shade/